Sweet Chaos
Every morning before school seems to be very chaotic and we are constantly rushing to get out the door on time. Some days are easier than others and some days...are not. This morning was an exception.
While trying to get the breakfast table cleaned, instructing one child (four times) to brush her teeth and get her shoes on quickly and directing the other school-age child to tuck in his shirt while getting lunch boxes packed and ready, I briefly thought of how precious each minute is. All the chaos of the daily morning routine came to a halt when I noticed that it was taking Danica a VERY long time to finish her morning routine. I knew exactly where she was and what she was doing. Or so I thought. I got to the top of the steps and called her name. "Danica!" I didn't really search for her. I was prepared to discipline!
"Here I am, Mommy." She was in her room, making her bed. She says, "I was trying to help. I like making my bed. It's fun!" I stopped. I felt awful. I made sure that I told her how much I appreciated her help and then I had to apologize. I explained to her that I thought she was playing and not doing what I had asked of her. She told me she couldn't get it just right so she needed some help. I walked over and showed her how to turn back the comforter like I always do. She finished it off by putting her pillows on the bed. Then she noticed she left her "baby blanket" off. She tried to fold it up nice and neat but it looked more like a balled-up mess. So I said, "Why don't you just leave it unfolded, lay it on your bed, and sit your stuffed animals on it." "Like a pic-a-nic!", she said (in her best Yogi Bear voice). She finished setting up her stuffed animal's pic-a-nic and followed me to the bathroom to brush her hair.
I started brushing her hair and she says to me, "Mommy, you have some of the best ideas ever!" I told her I wasn't so sure about that but I was glad she thought so. "I make some bad decisions sometimes." She said, "I never would have thought of letting my stuffed animals have a picnic in my bed while I'm at school! That's the best idea EVER!" I gave her the biggest hug and I told her that my BEST idea was to have a little girl like her. I'm so thankful for her. She knows I need those encouraging words from time to time. I'm thankful for her sweetness in those chaotic moments.
While trying to get the breakfast table cleaned, instructing one child (four times) to brush her teeth and get her shoes on quickly and directing the other school-age child to tuck in his shirt while getting lunch boxes packed and ready, I briefly thought of how precious each minute is. All the chaos of the daily morning routine came to a halt when I noticed that it was taking Danica a VERY long time to finish her morning routine. I knew exactly where she was and what she was doing. Or so I thought. I got to the top of the steps and called her name. "Danica!" I didn't really search for her. I was prepared to discipline!
"Here I am, Mommy." She was in her room, making her bed. She says, "I was trying to help. I like making my bed. It's fun!" I stopped. I felt awful. I made sure that I told her how much I appreciated her help and then I had to apologize. I explained to her that I thought she was playing and not doing what I had asked of her. She told me she couldn't get it just right so she needed some help. I walked over and showed her how to turn back the comforter like I always do. She finished it off by putting her pillows on the bed. Then she noticed she left her "baby blanket" off. She tried to fold it up nice and neat but it looked more like a balled-up mess. So I said, "Why don't you just leave it unfolded, lay it on your bed, and sit your stuffed animals on it." "Like a pic-a-nic!", she said (in her best Yogi Bear voice). She finished setting up her stuffed animal's pic-a-nic and followed me to the bathroom to brush her hair.
I started brushing her hair and she says to me, "Mommy, you have some of the best ideas ever!" I told her I wasn't so sure about that but I was glad she thought so. "I make some bad decisions sometimes." She said, "I never would have thought of letting my stuffed animals have a picnic in my bed while I'm at school! That's the best idea EVER!" I gave her the biggest hug and I told her that my BEST idea was to have a little girl like her. I'm so thankful for her. She knows I need those encouraging words from time to time. I'm thankful for her sweetness in those chaotic moments.
Comments
Post a Comment