The Faith of a Child
This week at school, Zach's teacher reviewed the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead. Heaven and Hell came up in the discussion and his teacher asked Zach if he knew whether he would go to Heaven or Hell. He said he wasn't sure but he wanted to talk to Mommy and Daddy about it. I know this because his teacher sent me an email to give me a heads up. What's interesting about this is the fact that we had been discussing at home (on the way to and from school) how we know where we will spend eternity.
So on Tuesday evening at bedtime, Zach asked if we could read the Bible. I asked what in particular he wanted to read. Shockingly, he said Chronicles. I explained to him that there were two books of Chronicles which are too long to read at bedtime so he agreed that we should read a shorter story. And he chose the story of Lazarus. It was fresh in his mind and he had questions...and many thoughts. We read John 11:1-44. Zach asked questions about Mary and Martha and made the comment that when Jesus cried it was because he really loved Lazarus and his heart was sad. We talked a bit about what makes God sad and that opened the door. I was able to share with Zach that God loves us just like he loved Lazarus, with all of his heart and he just wants us to love him back. I shared Romans 4:4-8 and we talked about receiving gifts and being thankful for it. And I shared that God's grace saves you because of faith in Christ, that it doesn't come from anything we do but that it is God's free gift to us (Ephesians 2:8). All he had to do was admit that he is a sinner, not perfect; believe that Christ was born, lived, died, and rose again, all to save us from our sin (He paid it all!); and then confess, being specific about his sin and asking for forgiveness.
I knew that was a lot for a ittle five year old to take in. So I told him that I would pray with him when and if he was ready or he could do it on his own. And I also explained that it was his choice, not anyone else's. So he said he wasn't ready and we prayed together before he went to bed. I tucked him in, turned off his light and walked away. I was sure that I failed. I missed something. I could have said this different or I could've said that different. The I remembered that God has an ultimate plan for each of our lives. I am not in control of anyone else's acceptance of Christ, only my own. I prayed specifically for Zach then went to bed.
I woke up Wednesday morning, got showered and dressed, then woke the kids up. The boys are always first. They seem to take longer to get ready for some reason. Maybe it is because there are two of them. Maybe because they seem to slowly wake up from their coma they were in. I woke Zach up and went to his closet to get his clothes. He bolted upright in his bed and said,"Mommy, I did it!"
I asked, "You stayed dry?" (Yes, he has bladder issues at night.)
"No," with a look on his face that told me that was absurd that I asked. "I said the prayer!"
My heart melted, jumped for joy, and I screamed "Hallelujah" in my mind so loud that I thought the neighbors might have heard. I wanted to cry but I was so overjoyed I didn't know how to react. You see, I was able to share Christ with my son. I'm not sure anything could ever be greater. We immediately called Daddy to tell him to good news. We encouraged Zach to share his good news with others. But Zach is a little shy so he probably won't share unless he's asked. He did share with his teacher today (because she asked) that he made a decision to ask Jesus into his heart.
If you're reading this, please say a prayer for Zach. Pray that his child-like faith will grow and that God will protect him from the world around him and that he will be a shining light for Christ. Pray for others also: for those who have recently accepted Christ, that they too may grow; and pray for those who don't know about Christ or haven't heard about the free gift of salvation. Pray that you might have the opportunity to share it with others.
So on Tuesday evening at bedtime, Zach asked if we could read the Bible. I asked what in particular he wanted to read. Shockingly, he said Chronicles. I explained to him that there were two books of Chronicles which are too long to read at bedtime so he agreed that we should read a shorter story. And he chose the story of Lazarus. It was fresh in his mind and he had questions...and many thoughts. We read John 11:1-44. Zach asked questions about Mary and Martha and made the comment that when Jesus cried it was because he really loved Lazarus and his heart was sad. We talked a bit about what makes God sad and that opened the door. I was able to share with Zach that God loves us just like he loved Lazarus, with all of his heart and he just wants us to love him back. I shared Romans 4:4-8 and we talked about receiving gifts and being thankful for it. And I shared that God's grace saves you because of faith in Christ, that it doesn't come from anything we do but that it is God's free gift to us (Ephesians 2:8). All he had to do was admit that he is a sinner, not perfect; believe that Christ was born, lived, died, and rose again, all to save us from our sin (He paid it all!); and then confess, being specific about his sin and asking for forgiveness.
I knew that was a lot for a ittle five year old to take in. So I told him that I would pray with him when and if he was ready or he could do it on his own. And I also explained that it was his choice, not anyone else's. So he said he wasn't ready and we prayed together before he went to bed. I tucked him in, turned off his light and walked away. I was sure that I failed. I missed something. I could have said this different or I could've said that different. The I remembered that God has an ultimate plan for each of our lives. I am not in control of anyone else's acceptance of Christ, only my own. I prayed specifically for Zach then went to bed.
I woke up Wednesday morning, got showered and dressed, then woke the kids up. The boys are always first. They seem to take longer to get ready for some reason. Maybe it is because there are two of them. Maybe because they seem to slowly wake up from their coma they were in. I woke Zach up and went to his closet to get his clothes. He bolted upright in his bed and said,"Mommy, I did it!"
I asked, "You stayed dry?" (Yes, he has bladder issues at night.)
"No," with a look on his face that told me that was absurd that I asked. "I said the prayer!"
My heart melted, jumped for joy, and I screamed "Hallelujah" in my mind so loud that I thought the neighbors might have heard. I wanted to cry but I was so overjoyed I didn't know how to react. You see, I was able to share Christ with my son. I'm not sure anything could ever be greater. We immediately called Daddy to tell him to good news. We encouraged Zach to share his good news with others. But Zach is a little shy so he probably won't share unless he's asked. He did share with his teacher today (because she asked) that he made a decision to ask Jesus into his heart.
If you're reading this, please say a prayer for Zach. Pray that his child-like faith will grow and that God will protect him from the world around him and that he will be a shining light for Christ. Pray for others also: for those who have recently accepted Christ, that they too may grow; and pray for those who don't know about Christ or haven't heard about the free gift of salvation. Pray that you might have the opportunity to share it with others.
Comments
Post a Comment