What We Learned Today

A few things. We "officially" started homeschooling this week. So we're learning what works and what doesn't. What doesn't work? Procrastination. Not planning for the day's lesson ahead of time - it can be costly. Why? I had to go to the store to pick up the supplies for a Science experiment today. And while I was in the store, I picked up a few other things (for school) - a pencil sharpener, a laminator, and a mini stapler. They were all needed. But not necessary for today's experiment. 

Almost a hundred dollars lighter, I returned home and was excited about the purchases. I showed the kids the new things, and told each of them, "These are not toys!" I gave my daughter her new mini stapler and walked out of the room to get a few things from the office. I came back a few minutes later and she's still fidgeting with the stapler, putting the staples in and trying close the stapler. Then she calmly says, "Uh, I stapled my thumb." I was...surprised. Not by the fact that she had stapled her thumb but more by the fact that she was not crying or upset in any way. She held her thumb out and I asked, "How on earth did you do that?" She proceeded to tell me that she was holding the stapler, trying to close it, and pressed to close it, not realizing that the stapler would staple her thumb. While she told me what she did, I pulled the staple from her thumb as her hand trembled. I never thought about how deep a staple could go into your thumb. She said it felt as though the staple touched her nail from the back of the thumb. It only bled a little but was very tender to touch for the rest of the day. We cleaned her thumb and put two bandaids on it. Why two? Because we don't have a bandaid for the tip of the thumb in our jumbo pack of assorted bandages we purchased. 

So what did we learn today? 
1. Plan for Science experiments before the day of. 
2. Shopping trips to purchase Science experiment supplies can be costly if I visit other areas of the store.
3. Don't staple your thumb! 
4. More importantly, don't hold the stapler in a way that you could staple your thumb.
5. I need to buy fingertip bandages.

Comments

Popular Posts