Another Homeschool Year in the Books!

In the words of Porky Pig, "Th-th-that's all folks!" Another school year is over. We finished our second year of homeschooling and while sometimes it's easier than others, this year proved to be a challenge. We got off to a rough start. What happened? I asked myself that very same question over and over throughout the year. Here's what happened...

We waited until after Labor Day to start. Then we went on vacation. When we got back from vacation, we dug in deep. Danica decided she didn't really like the Biology curriculum she helped to pick out so motivation to do that went out the window. It took over a month for her to read through the first two chapters of her Biology textbook. Why? It was about Chemistry. And Chemistry doesn't interest her. (Too bad that's what we're doing next.) 

The boys also had a say in what they wanted to study. They didn't care for their science curriculum either. Not because it wasn't interesting, but more because they just had to do it. I'm beginning to see a pattern here. 

We did learn quite a bit this year. Danica is re-learning Latin. (I say re-learning because she and the boys learned Latin at their previous school.) The boys learned a bit about astronomy, oceanography, mineralogy, and meteorology. In History we learned about the Early Church and the Middle Ages. Danica completed Geometry, Zach completed Pre-Algebra, and Elliott completed sixth grade math. They all rocked their math curriculum. Even though they all say they don't like math, they excelled at it! The boys completed a writing and grammar curriculum that they both said they didn't like but the results were phenomenal in my opinion. I have nothing but positive things to say about the curriculum we chose. The boys didn't like that there was no option for creative writing because only a few lessons allowed them to choose their own topic. 

What did I learn? I learned that if I pick a curriculum, they don't really like it; and if they pick a curriculum, they don't really like it either. Ha! I'll just stick to teaching them what they need to know and hopefully it will stick. 

I've already started planning for the next school year and and I'm praying that it will be as successful as the last two. Trying to stay positive. 

Comments

Popular Posts