Normal? What’s that?


Yesterday, I had a great post op appointment with Dr. Zomorodi. He asked how the incision was healing. I showed him my scar. He was pleased with how it was healing. He also asked if I noticed any indentation in the side of my head (the temple area). So I moved my hair to show him. He was extremely impressed with the results. No indentation! He said after four weeks, I would have noticed it, if I wasn't working that muscle like I should. He went on to explain the final steps in the procedure. He placed titanium strips with screws to suture the skull back together. He said he used several so I’m sure I’ll set off alarms at the airport! He told me I could actually feel the strips. He showed me exactly where a few of them were. Those areas are very firm, almost hard. Yes, I am hard-headed. I’m sure my parents never thought I’d admit that!


Dr. Zomorodi spent quite a bit of time with me and Matthew answering all of our questions.

Q: What happened after the clip was placed?
A: The clip was place around the artery and it occluded the blood flow to the aneurysm. The area was irrigated to make sure the placement was good and then, the aneurysm was drained.

Q: I have a sharp pain and some achiness behind the left eye when I turn my eyes to the right. Is that normal?
A: Yes. The oculomotor nerve had to be moved in order to get to the aneurysm. So experiencing some pain/discomfort will be expected.

Q: I also have some throbbing sensation behind the left eye when my heart rate is elevated. Is that normal?
A: Yes. The orbital bone had to be shaved away in order to expose the artery to get the aneurysm. The orbital bone was there “protecting” the back of the eye (in a sense) from the pulsation of blood flow through the carotid artery. But since that bone was shaved, there is essentially nothing there to protect it now. So it will be something that will take some getting used to.

Q: Should I have the kids checked at some point?
A: Not necessarily. Since no one else in the family has been diagnosed with a cerebral aneurysm, it is not likely that the kids would have it. If they, during adolescence, have a sudden onset of migraines, only then should they have an MRI/MRA.

Q: What about my brother? He suffers from migraines. Should he get tested?
A: Maybe. If his migraines worsen or become more intense, definitely have him get checked.

Q: How long do I have to take aspirin?
A: Until the next angiogram – in February. We want to make sure there are no blood clots. When the clip was placed, it created a “kink” in the artery, so continue taking the aspirin until we are certain that the blood is flowing like it should.

Q: Is the “dripping”/”clicking” noise I hear when I talk normal?
A: Yes. The muscle that was cut during the procedure controls the jaw and it shortens a little after it is sutured back together. It may be TMJ. Continue to stretch the muscle by opening/closing the mouth and chewing gum. If it doesn’t improve over time, ask the dentist about getting a mouth guard to wear at night.

Q: Dr. Fukushima said I would need to have another angiogram in three months. Should I have MRI/MRAs regularly? How often?
A: After the angiogram in February, a MRI/MRA every year.

Q: On a scale of 1 to 10 – 10 being the most complicated – what would you rate this particular surgery?
A: This surgery, because of the location of this particular aneurysm and the potential amount of loss of blood, was probably the most complicated he had done.

Q: Was the procedure video-taped?
A: “No, but I wish it was.” 

After the surgery, Dr. Fukushima told Dr. Zomorodi that there were only three other neurosurgeons worldwide that would have attempted that surgery. Can you believe that? So, I am sure he kicked himself for not videoing it! That would have been one awesome show! Eight hours long!

He said that I could go back to doing my normal activities - driving, picking the kids up, and exercising 20 minutes a day - but not overdoing it. Normal? Ahhhh. What's that?

After the Q&A session, I told Dr. Zomorodi we had a few surprises for him. Danica made a card for him. She made it all by herself. On the front of the card, she stamped a cute little cupcake and colored it in. On the inside of the card, she placed a few strips of ribbon (just like Mommy does on the cards she makes), and on the back of the card she wrote, “I love you Dr. Zomorodi. Love, Danica.” She asked me to tell him that she loved him very much for “fixing Mommy’s head.” Dr. Zomorodi said he was going to put her card on his refrigerator at home. I had also made him a card, thanking him for all he did and taking the time to show he cared. Each time I saw him, he treated me as if I was the only patient he saw all day long. And for that, he deserved two dozen of my homemade Butter Toffee cookies. And that’s just what he got. Along with a nice insurance payment.

Comments

Popular Posts