Second Opinion? Check.


Matthew and I arrived at Duke Clinic 1L at 3:00 pm, were taken back to exam room 1 at 4:00 pm and spent about 30 minutes with Dr. Ali Zomorodi. He wanted a history.  Short story – I started having migraines in July (something like I had never experienced before), went to my PCP who referred me to Raleigh Neurology, had a MRI & MRA and was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm. Then, I was referred to Raleigh Neurosurgical Clinic, had an angiogram and now, here I am—wanting to get a second opinion. So what do you think, Doc?

After looking at my MRI/MRA and angiogram images, Dr. Zomorodi said he also doesn’t think this aneurysm is one which can be coiled because of its wide neck. He suggested the open craniotomy and discussed the risks, possible complications, as well as what to expect.

I will probably have a nagging headache for about 3 weeks.
I will probably have a swollen face (on the left side)… temporarily.
I will probably have a black eye for a few days.
I might have short term memory loss…temporarily.
I will have to take it easy for at least 4 weeks after surgery.
I will have to have physical therapy after surgery (to strengthen the muscle he                      will have to cut through). 
I WILL NOT have an aneurysm anymore!
               
I can’t help but laugh when I think about Dr. Zomorodi’s explanation for the after effects of the surgery. He said patients may have a swollen face, memory loss, etc. because of “air in the head.” Is he saying I will be an airhead? ;)  

He also informed us that he doesn’t think my migraines are being caused by the aneurysm. He showed us an image from the angiogram of my left carotid artery.




He said that normally arteries are straight, but mine, during the angiogram, seemed to have a curve to it. This is common in people who suffer severe migraines. This can be treated with medication. Hallelujah!  

Dr. Zomorodi also said the angiogram showed that the aneurysm was smaller than the MRA showed. It’s only 3x4 mm versus 5x6 mm. Smaller, yes. But it’s still there.



He answered all of our questions. Then, Matthew asked him, “If you were the patient, what questions would you ask?” Dr. Zomorodi quickly responded with four or five questions of his own which he also answered. My final question was ‘How soon can we schedule the surgery?’ His reply, in turn, made me feel as if I were the most important patient of the day. “My schedule is very flexible. I can have my secretary schedule it for you.” I told him that we also have a consultation with Dr. Fukushima on Wednesday and we would like to consult with him before we make a decision on the surgery date.  He encouraged that. He spoke highly of Dr. Fukushima as Dr. Zomorodi has assisted him in some surgeries.

What will Wednesday bring? I pray Dr. Fukushima will have a flexible schedule so that we can schedule surgery soon.

Comments

  1. So glad to hear the "second opinion" went well! I'll be checking back for updates and to see how you are doing! We'll continue to pray for you, your husband & kiddos as well as the doctors during all these appointments, upcoming surgery and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very good news!!!! This doctor sounds promising. I was a little concerned when he said that the aneurysm wasn't causing the headaches, but then I was happy when you explained it. Whew!

    btw - I loved your air head reference. And I think that as long as you don't lose your sense of humor (as a side effect), everything is going to turn out just fine! :)

    Keep us posted on the 3rd opinion. I hope that goes well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! We appreciate all the prayers that have been going up for us. I am having to learn to have a sense of humor about this. Otherwise, I would be an emotional train wreck. It's helping me to stay strong for the kids. (Some people aren't too crazy about my sense of humor in this whole situation but it's keeping me sane.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are in good hands. You are in HIS hands after all. Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faith, prayers, love , a good surgeon and Gods help.
    you Jessica, Matthew and the kids are in my prayers every day,
    Love and hugs,
    Henny.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts