A Field Trip to the NC Museum of Art

Today, we visited the NC Museum of Art with the cousins. We love going on field trips with the cousins. Let me start this blog by saying this: I am no art expert. I actually know pretty much nothing about art. I only know a few names but couldn't tell you much about the artists nor their paintings. Our main purpose for going on this field trip was to visit the Egyptian gallery. We recently studied a bit about Ancient Egypt in history a few weeks ago. We have a few more lessons on Egypt coming up soon so maybe something we saw today will still be on our minds when we get to those lessons.

The mirrored box with LED lighting had the kids intrigued. I looked in for a split second and the flashing lights - WOW! I couldn't handle it. 

The kids loved the elevator! Danica entered and as the door closed she said, "This reminds me of that scene in Captain America." I couldn't help but laugh out loud!

Elliott thought this piece of art was interesting. It was made completely of reclaimed electronic components.

This one had Danica's interest. It was made of nails and fish hooks! 

This was a little more familiar! Ancient Egypt! We saw the Grain Mummy, Canopic Jars, hieroglyphs on the false door, and the coffin of Amunred.

Who's who of the Revolutionary Heroes?

These beautiful pieces are part of the Judaic collection. Included in this was a lampstand that was borrowed by the White House in 2015 for the Hanukkah festival.

This was the only piece by an artist I do know - Claude Monet!

This was a beautiful work of art made of glass and marble.

Elliott, Zach, and Kylie loved creating the patterns.


Zach was mesmerized by his creation.

Danica seemed to like the weaving loom.

She learned a little about which natural materials gave cloths the colors.
  
I loved the John Audubon gallery! Learning about the creation of these beautiful books was so interesting.

Kaylee added her cheetah masterpiece to the design board.

The kids all loved hanging out on the rooftop.
Danica loved exploring the nature walk in the museum park. She even showed everyone these really cool flowers (Spotted Touch-Me-Knots) that had seed pods that exploded if you gently squeezed them.

Comments

Popular Posts