Just keepin' it real, folks...

Since we started homeschooling in early August, I have published a few blog posts about our adventure. While most of those have been evidence that we are enjoying homeschool, I have to be honest. I have seen so many other blog posts that don't show it all. Most depict images like 'look at all the fun stuff we do' and 'everything's great in our homeschool world'. But in reality, there have been days when we didn't get a single thing done and I wonder 'Did they even listen to a word I said?' There are days when the kids complain (a lot) and there are days when I struggle to keep my cool. The kids push my buttons. I get frustrated when there's a question on what to do when I just gave the instructions. Twice. The kids tell me they really don't want to finish our History lesson when we're in the middle of it because they would rather do their foreign language lesson for the day. There are days when I'm trying to teach and one kid decides that they would like to roll toy cars across their desk (making a loud noise) while another makes musical noises (think French Horn) with their mouth while the other stands in their chair to see if they can reach the ceiling (which they can't...but they'll keep trying, I'm sure). Or they play with the cardboard from the boxes of IKEA furniture we just bought. Because what kid doesn't love cardboard?!?! I lose my train of thought when all this is going on. Somehow each of them can focus while they distract me. So I have to remind myself that we all learn differently and I can't put them in my perfect little box. Our school day looks different from other families' school day. And that's ok. I don't expect to have the 'perfect' homeschool experience. I just want it to be memorable, enjoyable, and the best learning experience my kids can have. And if that means making loud noises while they stand in their chair playing with the corrugated cardboard as I try to teach a lesson, then so be it. It is not always easy. But it is rewarding. Every second I spend with my kids is a learning experience and it is growing each of us.

Comments

Popular Posts