Sunday update: Superwoman takes a stroll down the hallway

My brother-in-law Mike and I had the pleasure of assisting Jessica as she took a little walk down the hallway this afternoon.  We walked about 20 yards down and back.  I will say that just before we got back to the room she had to stop for a few seconds to rest, and that is when her sister-in-law Dana took this picture.  Take a look and notice a few things about this woman who just 48 hours earlier was in the middle of a very complicated 8-hour brain surgery:



1) We are in a hallway, she is standing, and she is smiling!
2) She is no longer attached to a pole that feeds her fluids and medication.
3) Her left eye isn't swollen, and it isn't black and blue. 

Jessica had a couple of very special visitors today, besides me of course.  The biggest surprise was that Dr. Fukushima himself came by for a visit around 1:00.  He explained to us that the aneurysm was indeed very difficult to get to because it was in the cavernous sinus region, which I understand was considered among neurosurgeons to be "no man's land" up until the last 20 years or so.  He also said he and Dr. Zomorodi tried a German clip first but decided to go with a Japanese clip in the end.  He said a bunch of other things I couldn't understand due to the heavy Japanese accent, but the important thing was that he was very excited to see how well she was doing.

Today the thing Jessica seemed to struggle with most was the itchy incision.  She rarely complained about pain while I was with her today.  Narcoleptic is a really good way to describe how she will be awake one minute and then asleep the next, but this is completely normal and expected.  The other thing she is struggling a bit with is that she wants to see her children really bad.  She has spoken with them several times on the phone, but I still don't have a good feeling about bringing them up to see her yet, and she is OK with that.  If all continues to go well and she is released tomorrow, it will be a non-issue.  However, they may keep her one more day...

Comments

Popular Posts